Project: Seaway Promenade and Moondarewa Spit Improvement
Client: Michael Bale & Associates
Architect: Place Design Group
Value: $5 million
Since construction in the mid 1980’s, The Spit has a long history as one of the most important public destinations at the Gold Coast. The Seaway Promenade and Moondarewa Spit foreshore improvements are moving ahead, with plans to provide improved access, amenity and environmental outcomes for this popular and much loved destination, for locals and tourists alike.
Commencing in February 2020, with an intention for works to be completed by Christmas, the community-led master plan to revitalise The Spit aims to:
• Enhance the public realm of The Spit to create a community space for local residents.
• Improve connections to the surrounding marine environment, including The Broadwater.
• Generate opportunities for job creation through tourism, entertainment and recreation.
• Get the balance right between protecting environmental and community values and facilitating appropriate development opportunities.
Michael Bale & Associates engaged MDA Consulting Engineers to provide Electrical Services and Hydraulic Services design components for the revitalisation project, with the following included in the scope of works:
• Architecturally designed Public Amenities Block.
• Picnic/Shade Shelters and Park Furniture, including picnic tables, benches, bike racks, drink bubblers/bottle refill and garbage bins.
• Beach Showers incorporating drinking fountains and water bottle refill stations.
• Pump Station and Rising Main connecting into the existing Rising Main or Pump Station behind the Seaway Kiosk.
• Potable water reticulation.
• Irrigation using recycled water.
• Lighting concepts.
• Conduits and Pits for future electrical and communications.